Friday 24 March 2017

Prototype of an Open Educational Project

Hello everybody!

Are you becoming greener and greener? I hope so! But today my concern is another one.

Last week we analyzed an Open Educational Project, and this week we created one!

First of all, I would like to present my prototype of an Open Educational Project with this video:


I also create another video to explain my prototype deeper than with PowToon. Here yo go the key points of my prototype about Plants. 




The process to create the prototype was the opposite:

Firstly, we use a template as a guide to create our open projects. We could change as many times as we want the template but we had to make it easy in order to change it when somebody proposes an improvement. I created a didactic unit about plants which is intended for 4º graders.



Once created the prototype, I made a video to present it, which I think is appealing. I used the tool PowToon, which I believe it is funny and so easy to use. However, I preferred to show my video first, since it is an eye-catching presentation about my prototype.

Then, I uploaded the documents that I created for the didactic unit about plants. I use Google docs, a website so useful to upload your documents and share with just your friends or everybody. Here you go the documents (and also the prototype if you would like to download it):


This time, I preferred to use a different tool than a video on twitter, that is why I chose PowToon also, because it was something different for me and so eye-catching. It is a rudimentary tool but much more fun than if you record yourself (I did for another challenge also). Anyway, I wanted to shoot a video about the key points of my prototype so that their are easy to find. Apparently, it seems easier for the human being to watch a video than read a document.

To share my prototype, I use Issuu a website to share documents. This website is great so that your publications look great. It is free and you are allowed to watch everybody's publications or magazines. I had not used this website before, neither I knew it, but I like the way in which my documents are presented so as to embed it to my blog. 

With respect to Google docs, I used it before since it is great to do collaborative projects with your peers, but I have never uploaded many documents in order to share them with everybody. It is a good initiative so that each teacher can share their fresh ideas and can read about new ones also. In Spain, teacher are worry about sharing content since most teachers think that they do not want other people to use the material in which they spent so much time. Nevertheless, it is about taking advantage of the sharing and improve our teaching methods and resources. Our main goal as teacher is to help children to learn content, develop skills, and help them to be better citizens, right? So, teachers lets share! 

In my prototype, I will use iDoceo which is an application for iPad. It is not a free app but you will use it daily if you are a teacher. So, it is worthy. With this application you can evaluate your students through rubrics, it also has many tools such as notes, contact list, etc. You can share the students' mark with their parents and also with them. In the case you meet with parents, you can also show them only their child mark following the teacher's standards.


Example:



Screenshot of my Ipad by Carmen Olmedo

Besides, the teacher can see the mark average of the group of students and in which standards students fails or got good marks, for instance:


Screenshot of mi Ipad by Carmen Olmedo

Finally, my last post was about analyzing an open educational project and it was time-consuming but easy to do it. Now that I created one, I realized that it is more difficult to create one and also to evaluate your own prototype!

In my prototype, I want students to make an online poster about taking care of the nature. If they can, you can. 

Remember:

Be clever, be greener!


6 comments:

  1. I love your project, Carmen!!
    I think it is very complete and you are going to motivate your students to learn more about plants.
    Referring to the contents, I can see how realistic they are. Your students will achieve them for sure. Moreover, you have well explained the 4Cs of CLIL which are a key element of a CLIL didactic unit. Finally, I would like to add that your rubric is brilliant! I will take some ideas to include them on my rubrics!

    Keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your lovely comment, Ana.

      Delete
  2. Amazing project Carmen!!
    From my point of view the teacher´s role you propose is the best way to work with this topics. Contents are very clear and the language structures are one of the greatest point of your project!.

    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project Carmen, I like the topic that you have chosen, you have done a fantastic job analysing every part of the project! My congrats!

    ReplyDelete